The standard uniform can be purchased from several suppliers. However, Official Sports International
is the official technical partner of U.S. Soccer.
- If you expect to command respect (one element of game control) on the field, then you must look and act like a professional
- Dress for success – wear the proper USSF uniform with your referee jersey tucked in and your socks pulled up
What You Need to Have
- Solid black referee shorts or black shorts with the USSF Referee logo on the leg
- An approved USSF referee uniform. The gold shirt is the primary jersey color for referees. You do not need to buy all the different colored jerseys right away. However, if you advance as a referee, then you will need to add the alternate colors over the next few years.
- The official sock of US Soccer is the black two stripe sock. Socks should always be pulled up to your knees and not bunched down around your ankles..
- Your current year USSF badge on the left shirt pocket of your jersey.
What you should carry in your referee bag?
- A referee bag that should contain the following:
- A watch with stopwatch functions – two watches are preferred, one for starting and stopping and one for keeping a running time in case you forget to start the first one
- Red and yellow cards
- Tossing coins
- Whistles – always have an extra in your bag
- Flags for the Assistant Referees or Club Linesmen (if you are working alone)
- Cold weather gear when the time of year makes it necessary
- Street shoes and dry socks
- A large plastic trash bag (to put your ref bag inside in case of rain)
- Snacks (energy bars are great!) if you are going to be doing more than one game
- Rubber bands or baggies to hold and separate player/coach cards for each team
- Water – don’t forget to bring water.